Midwest Steel is the nation’s leading Structural Steel contractor with a long history of success building projects in a variety of industries nationwide. The Company is involved in the construction of complex buildings and structures across the country. Examples include Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, River Point Tower in Chicago, Florida Polytechnic University in Florida and many more.The company is looking to add a Shop Laborer
to its team to support the growing demands of the business.
The Shop Laborer Position
This position reports directly to the Shop Supervisor and is responsible for assisting with all areas of general shop labor. Responsibilities include loading and unloading of materials, maintaining accurate inventory of tools and supplies, repairing and operating small tools, occasional welding, occasional delivery of equipment and material to jobsites, routing housekeeping, and whatever else is needed to keep the business running smoothly.
Candidates must have the ability to perform work safely while following all Company procedures, in addition to all OSHA regulations. The Shop Laborer must maintain a clean and organized shop, tool and parts rooms, including performing general housekeeping duties. The position is demanding, but rewarding, and provides the opportunity to work for a company with a strong family-like culture. Additionally, the hours are consistent year-round, with overtime available most of the time.
This position is critical to the daily operations of the Company, helping ensure that the field crews have the tools and equipment they need to keep operating as the best team in the business.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities of the Shop Laborer
Work Environment & Physical Requirements of the Shop Laborer
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- A valid Chauffeur’s license is required; a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is preferred
- Must have strong general mechanical skills
- Must be able to work overtime, if necessary (45-48 hours is typical)
- Experience operating a hi-lo
- Ability to routinely lift up to 50 lbs., with occasional lifting in excess of 50 lbs. with assistance
- Ability to stand for long periods of time. Additional bending, stooping, crouching, reaching, grasping, feeling and repetitive motion also required
Compensation, Benefits, and Structure for the Shop Laborer
- Ability to work on surfaces that may be slippery when loading, handling, securing unloading and delivering freight
- Exposure to the elements when working outside, as well as loud noises
This is a full-time, permanent position that offers a competitive hourly rate, discretionary profit-sharing bonus program, full benefits package that is 100% employer-paid (including family coverage), paid time off, long-term stability, and a strong Company culture.
The Recruitment Process for the Shop Laborer
The recruitment process will include two phone screens, two in-person interviews, candidate assessments, a background check, and a drug test.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.