To be considered, applicants must complete a Township application: https://cms5.revize.com/revize/plymouthtownshipmi/Forms%20Permits/Employment%20Application.pdf
CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF PLYMOUTH
Department of Public Works – Service Technician I
Job Title: Service Technician I FSLA: Full-Time,Non-Exempt
Representation: Teamsters Reports to: DPW Foreman
Starting Pay Range: $20.40 per hour
Job Posting Date: Posted on May 9, 2023 and open until filled
The Service Technician I performs manual labor work in a variety of Township public works operations. Work primarily pertains to the operation and maintenance of the Township's water and sewer systems including routine water meter reading and hydrant flushing. Other areas of work include street sweeping, snow removal and general field support for other Township departments.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position is expected to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. These examples are not an exhaustive list of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform.
- Fill out daily work orders and/or other records using Township CMMS/Cityworks;
- Perform tasks associated with the Township's water meter reading program including collecting reads/re-reads and maintaining reading equipment;
- Perform tasks associated with the Township's water meter installation and change-out programs, including installing, replacing, maintaining and repairing water meters and associated remote registers/touchpads/radio transmitters;
- Operate and exercise water valves including system and customer service valves;
- Assist in the removal, installation and repair of water and sewer mains, structures, services, leads, valves and taps;
- Perform routine manual labor such as digging holes, trenches, snow shoveling and loading/unloading trucks;
- Locate, stake utilities and complete MISS DIG tickets using Township CMMS/Cityworks;
- Operate and maintain fire hydrants;
- Operate and maintain small hand and power tools and equipment;
- Operate a pick-up truck/snow plow;
- Operate Township Street Sweeper;
- Assist in landscape and concrete restoration work;
- Perform water quality sampling;
- Assist in concrete (sidewalks, streets) and property drainage inspections;
- Assist in inspecting and cleaning sanitary sewers;
- Assist in supervising Contractors on job sites;
- Perform general grounds keeping duties;
- Perform preventative maintenance/check-ups on Township vehicles;
- Volunteer for "on-call" stand-by on regular rotational basis;
- Follow department "on call" stand-by procedures; procedures include being available during non-business hours including weekends on a semi-regular basis for emergency response;
- Respond to customer problems/complaints;
- Attend annual training and test at least once per year for the State S-4 water operator certification and put forth effort toward obtaining certification;
- Receive stormwater compliance training on routine basis, as required under Township MS4 Permit;
- Perform stormwater compliance inspections, as required by Township MS4 Permit
The preceding functions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work for the Service Technician I. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel labeled to this classification. The Service Technician performs other related duties as required.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum qualifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
- Demonstrates the ability to work and communicate with residents and business owners in a professional and polite manner;
- Demonstrates ability to work well with others;
- Knowledge of basic plumbing;
- General ability to read maps/blueprints;
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools and ability to use those tools properly and safely;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- 18 years of age or older;
- High school graduate or equivalent;
- Ability to drive van and/or truck;
- Ability to operate power vehicles;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to do continuous bending and exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force to constantly move objects;
- Must have excellent driving record;
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Learner's Permit for Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Group B, Endorsement N from the State of Michigan within sixty (60) days after employment. Must successfully obtain CDL Group B, Endorsement N from State of Michigan within six (6) months after employment and maintain CDL designation (please note that the Township will assist employees in obtaining the proper licensure if needed);
- Must be able to meet attendance requirements of this position. Due to nature of the departmental activities, some evening, weekend or early morning work may be required.
The experience, skills and abilities listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities related to the Service Technician I position. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that will be considered along with other job-related selection decisions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those and employee may encounter while performing the essential job functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
An employee in this position spends most of their time outdoors in the elements including extreme heat and cold and other severe weather. An employee in this position is frequently required to perform heavy manual labor, lift and carry items of considerable weight, requiring considerable physical exertion. This position is regularly exposed to dust, fumes, chemicals, or unsanitary conditions such as those found in public restrooms and common areas. An employee in this position must have the strength, stamina, manual dexterity and physical coordination to access various outdoor work sites, perform duties and operate necessary tools and equipment.
Plymouth Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer!